Ohio State head coach ryan day appeared weekly on Thursday afternoons on 97.1 The Fan and then met with the media for about 10 minutes for a blitz round of questions ahead of Saturday’s season opener against Notre Dame.
The following is a summary of what Day had to say:
Ryan Day radio show
- Day noted how players look forward to competing against a different colored jersey after competing against their teammates at spring and fall camp. “It’s time to find out what we have.”
- Day said Buckeyes has been doing game planning for the Fighting Irish since the team moved out of the off-campus hotel two weeks ago.
- Day noted that most of the team is back among those who started the Rose Bowl. So the feeling in the team is very different from last year when several key positions were inexperienced.
- Day said the Ohio State scout team wears their opponents’ jersey numbers. “Who do you think? Jaxon (Smith-Njigba) is for the guy we played?”
- Day said replacing first-round picks is difficult Chris Olav and Garret Wilsonbut expected Emeka Egbuka, Julian Fleming and Marvin Harrison Jr. to have big roles alongside Smith-Njigba.
- Day said the running backs room is “a position of strength” because of the experience he’s coming back with. TreVeyon Henderson pioneering.
- Day said he was running back Miyan Williams had one of the better preseasons and this linebacker DeaMonte Trayanum did some repetitions at the following position Evan Pryorinjury at the end of the season.
- Day on Notre Dame defensive tackle Isaiah Foskey: “He is rightly a first-rounder. You need to know where he is and have a plan for him.”
- Tag on the new Ohio Stadium turf: “It’s a fast field. It’s nice and the guys really like it.” Noted they also replaced the turf at Woody Hayes Athletic Center. “These are state-of-the-art, really beautiful fields.”
- Asked about the defense under the new coordinator Jim Knowles, Day said he was “excited” to see them play on Saturday night. Added that players really embraced the new scheme.
- “If you look at that defense coming back there’s a lot of people who’ve played football so there’s a point of reference.”
- Day believes the defensive line will have a big impact on the game. “We know Notre Dame is going to try to run the ball and control the clock, so it starts up there.”
- Safety Day Lathan’s ransom and Josh Proctor, who both suffered broken legs last season. “It’s great to see them running around at full power.”
- Day thinks of a tight ending Cade Stover “brings an edge” on offense, having played as a defensive end and linebacker earlier in his career. “I expect a big impact from him.”
- On snapper in the seventh year Bradley Robinson: “He’s certainly been around for a while, but he’s a pro.”
- Day on Notre Dame: “They are an experienced team. They also played a lot of football. Of course we will do our best.”
- Day notably trained under the Fighting Irish defensive coordinator AlGolden at Temple when he was the Owls’ wide receivers coach in 2006. “The only thing I know for sure is that they will be well organized and well coached.”
- “That’s why you come to the state of Ohio to play in environments like this.”
- On using a Nike football instead of Wilson like last year: “It was a big decision.” Apart from the logo there will be no big change.
- Day said he didn’t give much thought to playing an overseas game like Nebraska and Northwestern last weekend because he was so focused on Notre Dame.
Ryan Day blitz round
- Day reiterated that this game will be won up front. “It’s going to be a fight for both sides of the ball. We have to be the tougher team.”
- Tag about the health of the team going into the opener and finding a balance between hard training and a healthy attitude: “It’s exciting to know that we’re going full force.”
- The Buckeyes will release their pregame availability report a few hours before kickoff on Saturday, as they have done in recent years.
- On the quarterback CJ Stroud giving his teammates $500 gift cards so they can buy game day suits for the season. “It was just something he wanted to do. Nobody asked him to. He kind of surprised me with it.”
- “It just shows you how close this team has grown and how CJ has become a leader.”
- Day said running the ball and ball security will be key to the game. “I like the plan we have.”
- Day still has no update on USC Transfer Kicker eligibility status ParkerLewis.
- Day said they haven’t discussed some of Ohio State’s struggles in recent seasons at home in non-conference games.
Be sure to check out our new message boards, Buckeye Forums. We’d love to include you in the conversations throughout the season.
You may also like…
Ohio State QB CJ Stroud gifts teammates Game Day suits
Scroll to Next
New Ohio Stadium Turf “much better” than the previous surface
Ohio State’s TreVeyon Henderson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba previews Notre Dame
San Francisco 49ers waive former Ohio State RB Trey Sermon
First look at the Safelite Field logos on Ohio Stadium’s lawn
51 former Ohio State players on active NFL rosters for the 2022 season
Make sure you stay locked in BuckeyesNow the whole time!
Like and follow BuckeyesNow on Facebook!